The current owners, Chris and Anna Brindley, opened The Wheatsheaf in February 2012. But there's a lot of history before that...
The first recorded reference of the Wheatsheaf was in 1770 when a licence, witnessed by Magistrates Clarke & Knightly at Daventry Division Recognisance Hearing, was guaranteed, at a price of £10,by Thomas Kilworth, another Crick publican, to John Cooper the landlord. The building was constructed of stone with a thatched roof. On 4th October 1886, the roof was partially destroyed by a fire which started in the kitchen.
The pub is reputed to have subterranean passages connecting it to the village church St. Margaret of Antioch. (When we built our B&B extension in 2015/16 we had an archaeological survey carried out but no tunnel was found)
In the early 20th century it was used as a posting house. The Oxford Reference Dictionary gives a definition of the word "post."-
"From the beginning of the 16th century the term "post" was applied to men with horses stationed or appointed in places at suitable distances along the routes , the duty of each being to ride with or forward with all speed to the next stage , the king's packet or mail, and subsequently the letters of other persons also, as well as to furnish horses for use in this."
The Oxford Reference Dictionary
Oxford University Press, Oxford 1986.'
The pub was used as a popular meet point for the Pytchley Hunt until the building of the M1 motorway in the early 1960's which brought danger to the hunt.
Photos of The Wheatsheaf
Credits where possible: